Thursday, December 7, 2017

Well, I do want to wait until I have some photos to share before making a new post.  So, now that I have some new photos, I feel that I have enough to make some new new posts.  First,  I have a new tractor.  Not a new, new tractor, but a new, old tractor.  It is a 1953 Farmall Super H.
Farmall Super H.  I have it parked in my tractor shed.
The reason I bought it is that my other tractor is a B Farmall.  It is a smaller tractor.  It puts out about 10-12 horsepower on a good day.  I have a front end loader on it that I use a lot to move stuff around on the farm.  It is very useful in that way.  The problem is that the front end loader uses the PTO to run the hydraulic pump, so if I need to run any equipment that needs the PTO shaft, I have to take the front end loader off.  That's a lot of work.  The other thing is, the B just doesn't have the horsepower to run a lot of the equipment that I use, like the mower and the hay baler.  So, getting the Super H allows me to leave the front end loader on the B all the time, and I can use the Super H to run the mower and the hay baler and it has more horsepower, about 25-30 horsepower, which is more than enough for what I need.  Fortunately, there's enough room in the tractor shed to park both of them.

This is my Kineo B in its new spot in our kitchen.
Now, on to the next topic, the wood cookstove.  We have the Kineo B installed in our remodeled kitchen.  As you can see, the stovepipe is not yet connected to anything, so we can't burn wood in it, yet.  The weather is getting colder, so we are getting a little anxious to get this all hooked up and ready to use.  Last weekend I was up on the housetop, clunk, clunk, clunk, so to speak, sawing a hole in the roof with my saws-all.  Yes, that made me very nervous.  There is something very wrong about taking a saw and deliberately sawing a hole in the roof of one's house.  Ordinarily, a person works very hard to make sure there aren't any holes in the roof, so to saw a hole on purpose is just very backwards.
Sawing a hole in the roof.  Something very wrong about this.
The next step is to install the roof flashing, and then lower the chimney pipe down into the ceiling adapter.  The problem we ran into was that the clamping band was too large to fit through the flashing, so we ended up having to put the pipe down first, and then put the flashing down over the pipe, and then slip it under the shingles.
Note the shiny double-wall chimney pipe.  We assembled a four-foot piece onto a three-foot piece, then lowered both down through the hole in the roof.
Once we had it all together, we were able to finish caulking all the seams with roofing tar and high-temp silicone.




All assembled.  The spark arresting screen had to be jerry-rigged, as it was too large for the weather cap, but we got it wired on with baling wire, the farmer's friend.
The ceiling adapter is in place.  I know, it is dusty with sheetrock dust, but it will clean up.
I still have one more piece of stove pipe to come in the mail, and we will be ready to put it all together.  I have two 45's that will bring the pipe back a few inches and then two 3-foot sections that will connect the stove pipe to the stove.  I have also ordered some special gasket material to seal the pipe to the stove at the bottom to keep it from leaking any smoke where the stove pipe connects to the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment